The Fluid Dynamics group in the Applied Mathematics and Statistics Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, combines research interests and strengths in applied astrophysical and geophysical Fluid Dynamics, compressible magnetohydrodynamics and high-performance computing.
Faculty in other departments
Current graduate students
- Ryan Moll (PhD since 2011 with Pascale Garaud)
- Justin Brown (PhD, A&A, with Pascale Garaud and Stan Woosley)
- JoFawna Reali (PhD since 2013 with Pascale Garaud)
- David Jones (PhD since 2013 with Nic Brummell)
- Lydia Korre (PhD since 2013 with Pascale Garaud and Nic Brummell)
- Adam Reyes (PhD, Physics, since 2015 with Dongwook Lee)
- Christina Findley (PhD since 2015 with Pascale Garaud)
- Stephan Stellmach (Postdoc 2009-2011), now permanent faculty in Earth Sciences at the University of Munster (Germany)
- Adrienne Traxler (PhD 2011 on "Double-diffusive convection at high and low Prandtl numbers" with Pascale Garaud), now Assistant Professor in Physics at Wright State University.
- Giovanni Mirouh (Visiting MS1 in Physics, ENS Cachan, Semiconvection in giant planets"), now PhD student in Astrophysics in Toulouse.
- Luis Acevedo-Arreguin (PhD 2012 on "The magnetohydrodynamics of the solar tachocline" with Pascale Garaud)
- Toby Wood (Postdoc 2011-2013), now Lecturer in Astrophysics at the University of Newcastle (UK)
- Celine Guervilly (Postdoc 2012-2013), now Research Fellow in Applied Mathematics at the University of Leeds (UK)
- Ben Byington (PhD 2014 on "Numerical investigations of novel dynamo processes" with Nic Brummell)
- Nicole Beyer (MS 2014 on "Shear Instabilities in stratified fluids" with Pascale Garaud)
- Michael Medrano (MS in Physics, 2014 on "The search for hidden mixing: analysis of the collective and intrusive instabilities" with Pascale Garaud)
- Corentin Cadiou (Visiting MS1 in Physics, ENS Paris, 2014, Mixing of angular momentum and chemical elements in low-mass red giants" with Pascale Garaud), now MS2 student in Astrophysics in Paris.
- Aya Furutani (MS 2015 on "The Stability of High Peclet number stratified parallel shear flows" with Pascale Garaud)
- Sebastian Laudenschlager (MS 2015 on "The rise of twisted magnetic field tubes via magnetic buoyancy" with Nic Brummell and Dongwook Lee)
- Logithan Kulenthirarajah (Visiting MS2 in Astrophysics, Toulouse, 2015 on "Momentum transport in a stratified shear flow at low Peclet number" with Pascale Garaud)
- Katelyn White (PhD 2015 with Nic Brummell)
- Kevin Moore (Postdoc 2013-2015), now visiting assistant professor at Claremont McKenna college.
Research and synergistic activities
Nic Brummell's research interests include compressible magnetohydrodynamics and dynamo theory using high-performance computing and applied to the study of the solar interior. He is currently the Chair of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, and is a regular participant and organizer at the Aix-en-Provence "Festival de Theorie" Plasma Physics program.
Pascale Garaud's research interests span a wide range of problems in astrophysical fluid dynamics, including mixing by various instabilities in stellar interiors, the study of large-scale transport by fluid flows and magnetic fields in rotating stars, the solar tachocline, and dust-gas interactions in the context of planet formation. She is the founding director of the ISIMA program in theoretical astrophysics, a faculty of the GFD program at Walsh Cottage (WHOI), and is currenty running the new MS program in Scientific Computing and Applied Mathematics.
Dongwook Lee’s research interests includes computational fluid dynamics governed by compressible nonlinear PDEs of hydrodynamics and magnetohydrodynamics. Such physical fluid phenomena arise in many different applications of science and engineering including space astrophysics, laboratory astrophysics (or high-energy-density physics), radiation hydrodynamics, reactive flows, geophysical flows, and aerodynamics. He is one of the main developers of the FLASH code for computational astrophysics.
Prof. Daniele Venturi works on stochastic CFD (hp-spectral element methods with MPI) on complex geometries. This includes direct and large eddy stochastic simulations of isothermal and non-isothermal flows using multi-element polynomial chaos, probabilistic collocation, and sparse grids.
Fluid seminar series
Publications in the last 5 years.
----------------- 2015 -----------------
- R. Moll and P. Garaud, 2015, "A new model for mixing by double-diffusive convection (semi-convection) III. Thermal and compositional transport through non-layered ODDC", ApJ, submitted, (ADS Link)
- K. Moore and P. Garaud, 2015, "Main Sequence evolution with layered semiconvection", ApJ, accepted, (ADS Link)
- P. Garaud, M. Medrano, C. Mankovich, J. Brown, K. Moore, 2015, " Excitation of gravity waves by fingering convection, and the formation of compositional staircases in stellar interiors", ApJ, in press (ADS Link)
- H. Cho, X. Yang, D. Venturi and G. E. Karniadakis, ``Numerical methods for propagating uncertainty across heterogeneous domains'', SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 2015, In press.
- Carlo Graziani, Petros Tzeferacos, Dongwook Lee, Donald Q. Lamb, Klaus Weide, Milad Fatenejad, and Joshua Miller, “The Biermann Catastrophe in Numerical Magnetohydrodynamics”, The Astrophysical Journal, 802:43, Jan 22, 2015 (doi link)
- J. Meinecke, P. Tzeferacos, A. R. Bell, R. Bingham, E. M. Churazov, R. Crowston, H. Doyle, R. P. Drake, M. Koenig, Y. Kuramitsu, C. C. Kuranz, D. Lee, M. J. MacDonald, C. D. Murphy, H.-S. Park, A. Pelka, A. Ravasio, B. Reville, Y. Sakawa, W. C. Wan, N. C. Woolsey, R. Yurchak, F. Miniati, A. A. Schekochihin, D. Q. Lamb, G. Gregori, “Developed turbulence and nonlinear amplification of magnetic fields in laboratory and astrophysical plasmas”, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 2015 (doi link)
----------------- 2014 -----------------
- V. Zemskova, P. Garaud, M. Deal and S. Vauclair, 2014, " Fingering convection induced by atomic diffusion in stars: 3D numerical computations and applications to stellar models", ApJ, 795, 118 (ADS Link)
- M. Medrano, P. Garaud, and S. Stellmach, 2014, " Double-diffusive mixing in stellar interiors in the presence of horizontal gradients , ApJ, 792, L30 (ADS Link)
- Ruszkowski, M., Brüggen, M., Lee, D., Shin, M. S., “Impact of Magnetic Fields on Ram Pressure Stripping in Disk Galaxies”, The Astrophysical Journal, 778:75–88, Mar. 20, 2014 (doi link)
- Meinecke, J., Doyle, H., Miniati, F., Bell, A. R., Bingham, R., Crowston, R., Drake, R. P., Fatenejad, M., Koenig, M., Kuramitsu, Y., Kurantz, C., Lamb, D. Q., Lee, D., MacDonald, M. J., Murphy, C. D., Park, H.-S., Pelka, A., Ravasio, A., Sakawa, Y., Schekochihin, A. A., Scopatz, A., Tzeferacos, P., Wan, W. C., Woolsey, N. C., Reville, B., and Gregori, G., “Turbulent amplification of magnetic fields in laboratory laser-produced shock waves”, Nature Physics, 2014 (doi link)
- Tzeferacos, P., M. Fatenejad, N. Flocke, C. Graziani, G. Gregori, D. Q. Lamb, D. Lee, J. Meinecke, A. Scopatz, and K. Weide. “FLASH MHD simulations of experiments that study shock-generated magnetic fields”, High Energy Density Physics, 2014 (doi link)
- D. Venturi and G. E. Karniadakis, 2014, ``Convolutionless Nakajima-Zwanzig equations for stochastic analysis in nonlinear dynamical systems'', Proc. R. Soc. A, 470 (2166), pp. 1-20. (doi link)
- H. Cho, D. Venturi and G. E. Karniadakis, 2014, ``Statistical analysis and simulation of random shocks in stochastic Burgers equation'', Proc. R. Soc. A, 470 (2171), pp. 1-21. (doi link)
----------------- 2013 -----------------
- P. Garaud, 2013, " Double-diffusive convection", EAS Publication Series, 63, pp. 285-295, (ADS Link)
- R. L. F. Oglethorpe and P. Garaud, 2013, " Spin-down dynamics of magnetized solar-type stars , ApJ, 778, 166 (ADS Link)
- L. A. Acevedo-Arreguin, P. Garaud and T.S. Wood, 2013, "Dynamics of the solar tachocline III : Numerical solutions of the Gough and McIntyre Model ", MNRAS, 434, 720 (ADS link)
- J. Brown, P. Garaud and S. Stellmach, 2013, " Chemical Transport and Spontaneous Layer Formation in Fingering Convection in Astrophysics ", ApJ, 768, 34 (ADS link)
- T. S. Wood, P. Garaud and S. Stellmach, 2013, " A new model for mixing by double-diffusive convection (semi-convection). II. The transport of heat and composition through layers ", ApJ, 768, 157 (ADS link)
- P. Garaud, F. Meru, M. Galvagni, and C. Olczak, 2013, "From dust to planetesimals: an improved model for collisional growth in protoplanetary disks ", ApJ, 764, 146 (ADS link)
- ZuHone, J., Markevitch, M., Ruszkowski, M., Lee, D., “Cold Fronts and Gas Sloshing in Galaxy Clusters with Anisotropic Thermal Conduction”, The Astrophysical Journal, 762:69–85, Jan. 10, 2013 (doi link)
- Lee, D., “A Solution Accurate, Ecient and Stable Unsplit Staggered Mesh Scheme for Three Dimensional Magnetohydrodynamics”, Journal of Computational Physics, 243:269–292, Mar. 22, 2013 (doi link)
- Ji, S., Fisher, R., García-Berro, E., Tzeferacos, P., Jordan, G., Lee, D., Loren-Aguilar, P., Cremer, P., Behrends, J. , “The Post-Merger Magnetized Evolution of White Dwarf Binaries: The Double-Degenerate Channel of Sub-Chandrasekhar Type Ia Supernovae and the Formation of Magnetized White Dwarfs”, The Astrophysical Journal, 773:136–149, Aug. 20, 2013 (doi link)
- Murawski, K., Ballai, I., Srivastava, A. K., Lee, D., “Three-dimensional Numerical Model of Magnetohydrodhyamic-gravity Waves and Vortices in the Solar Atmosphere”, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Sept. 23, 2013 (doi link)
- Dubey, A., Antypas, K., Calder, A. C., Daley, C., Fryxell, B., Gallagher, J. B., Lamb, D. Q., Lee, D., Olson, K., Reid, L. B., Rich, P., Ricker, P. M., Riley, K. M., Rosner, R., Siegel, A., Taylor, N. T., Weide, K., Timmes, F. X., Vladimirova, N., ZuHone, J., “Evolution of FLASH, a multi-physics scientific simulation code for high-performance computing”, International Journal of High Performance Computing, Oct. 3, 2013 (doi link)
- Dubey, A., Weide, K., Lee, D., Bachan, J., Daley, C., Olofin, S., Taylor, N., Rich, P. M., Reid, L., “Ongoing Verification of a Multiphysics Community Code: FLASH”, Software: Practice & Experience, Sept. 3, 2013 (doi link)
- D. Venturi, 2013, ``Conjugate flow action functionals'', J. Math. Phys., 2013, 54, pp. 113502(1-19). (doi link)
- D. Venturi, X. Wan, R. Mikulevicius, B. L. Rozovskii and G. E. Karniadakis, 2013, ``Wick-Malliavin approximation to nonlinear stochastic PDEs: Analysis and Simulation'', Proc. R. Soc. A, 469 (2158), pp. 1-20. (doi link)
- D. Venturi, D. M. Tartakovsky, A. M. Tartakovsky and G. E. Karniadakis, 2013, ``Exact PDF equations and closure approximations for advective-reactive transport'', J. Comput. Phys., 243, pp. 323-343. (doi link)
----------------- 2012 -----------------
- G. Mirouh, P. Garaud, S. Stellmach, A. Traxler and T. Wood, 2012. " A new model for mixing by double-diffusive convection (semi-convection): I. The conditions for layer formation", ApJ, 750, 61 (ADS link)
- Murawski, K., Lee, D., Godunov-type Algorithms for Numerical Modeling of Solar Corona”, Control and Cybernetics, 41:35–56, Mar., 2012
- Tzeferacos, P., Fatenejad, M., Flocke, N., Gregori, G., Lamb, D., Lee, D., Meinecke, J., Scopatz, A., Weide, K., “FLASH Magnetohydrodynamics Simulations of Laser-Driven Shock Experiments”, High Energy Density Physics, 8:322–328, Sept. 1, 2012 (doi link)
- Copatz, A., Fatenejad, M., Flocke, N., Gregori, G., Koenig, M., Lamb, D., Lee, D., Meinecke, J., Ravasio, A., Tzeferacos, P., Weide, K., Yurchak, R., “FLASH Hydrodynamics Simulations of Experiments to Explore the Generation of Cosmological Magnetic Fields”, High Energy Density Physics, 9:75–81, Nov. 1, 2012 (doi link)
- Fatenejad, M., Bell, A. R., Benuzzi-Mounaix, A., Crowston, R., Drake, P. R., Flocke, N., Gregori, G., Koenig, M., Krauland, C., Lamb, D., Lee, D., Marques, J. R., Meinecke, J., Miniati, F., Murphy, C. D., Park, H.-S., Pelka, A., Ravasio, A., Remington, B., Reville, B., Scopatz, A., Tzeferacos, P., Weide, K., Woolsey, N., Young, R., Yurchak, R., “Modeling HEDLA Magnetic Field Generation Experiments on Laser Facilities”, High Energy Density Physics, 9:172–177, Nov. 28, 2012 (doi link)
- Yang, H.-Y., Ruszkowski, M., Ricker, P. M., Zweibel, E., Lee, D., “The Fermi Bubbles: Supersonic AGN Jets with Anisotropic Cosmic Ray Diusion”, The Astrophysical Journal, 761:185–203, Dec. 20, 2012 (doi link)
- D. Venturi, M. Choi and G. E. Karniadakis 2012, ``Supercritical quasi-conduction states in stochastic Rayleigh-Bénard convection'', Int. J. Heat and Mass Transf.,55, pp. 3732-3743. (doi link)
- D. Venturi and G. E. Karniadakis, 2012, ``New evolution equations for the joint response-excitation probability density function of stochastic solutions to first-order nonlinear PDEs'', J. Comput. Phys., 231, pp. 7450-7474. (doi link)
----------------- 2011 -----------------
- T. Wood, J. McCaslin, & P. Garaud, 2011. "The Sun's Meridional Circulation and Interior Magnetic Field", ApJ, 738, 47 (ADS Link)
- A. Traxler, S. Stellmach, P. Garaud, T. Radko & N. Brummell, 2011. "Dynamics of fingering convection I: small-scale fluxes and large-scale instabilities", JFM, 677, 530 (ADS Link)
- S. Stellmach, A. Traxler, P. Garaud, N. Brummell & T. Radko, 2011. "Dynamics of fingering convection II: the formation of thermohaline staircases", JFM, 677, 554 (ADS Link)
- E. Rosenblum, P. Garaud, A. Traxler & S. Stellmach, 2011. " Turbulent mixing and layer formation in double-diffusive convection: 3D numerical simulations and theory ", ApJ, 731, 66 (ADS link)
- A. Traxler, P. Garaud, & S. Stellmach, 2011. "Numerically determined transportlaws for fingering ("thermohaline") convection in astrophysics ", ApJ, 728, L29, (ADS link)
- P. Garaud, 2011. "What happened to the other Mohicans? The case for a primordial origin to the planet-metallicity connection ", ApJ, 728, L30 (ADS link)
- Zaqarashvili T. V., Murawski, K., Khodachenko, M., K., Lee, D., “The Excitation of 5-min Oscillations in the Solar Corona”, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 529, A85, Jan. 28, 2011 (doi link)
- Murawski, K., Lee, D., “Numerical Methods of Solving Equations of Hydrodynamics from Perspectives for the Code FLASH”, Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences-Technical Sciences, 59:81–91, Mar., 2011 (doi link)
- Lee, D., Xia, G., Daley, C., Dubey, A., Gopal, S., Graziani, C., Lamb, D., Weide, K., “Progress in Development of High-Energy-Density Physics Capabilities in FLASH’s Unsplit Staggered Mesh MHD Solver”, An International Journal of Astronomy, Astrophysics and Space Science, 336:157–162, Mar. 9, 2011 (doi link)
- Kritsuk, A., Nordlund, A., Collins, D., Padoan, P., Norman, M., Abel, T., Banerjee, R., Federrath, C., Flock, M., Lee, D., Li, P., Müller, W., Teyssier, R., Ustyugov, S., Vogel, C., Xu, H., “Comparing Numerical Methods for Isothermal Magnetized Supersonic Turbulence”, Journal of Astrophysics, 737:13–29, Aug. 10, 2011 (doi link)
- Ruszkowski, M., Lee, D., Brüggen, M., Parrish, I., Oh, P., “Cosmological MHD Simulations of Cluster Formation with Anisotropic Thermal Conduction”, The Astrophysical Journal, 740:81–93, Oct. 20, 2011 (doi link)
- ZuHone, J., Markevitch, M., Lee, D., “Sloshing of the Magnetized Cool Gas in the Co- res of Galaxy Clusters”, The Astrophysical Journal, 743:16–49, Dec. 10, 2011 (doi link)
- D. Venturi and G. E. Karniadakis, 2011, ``Differential constraints for the probability density function of stochastic solutions to the wave equation'', Int. J. for UQ, 2, pp. 131-150. (doi link)